Thursday, July 22, 2010

Eastern Sierras...

This weekend I'll be hitting the trail pretty hard with my first opportunity to get into the high country and see some expansive granite. We will be starting our hike out of North Lake and continuing over Piute Pass into Humphreys Basin. 28+ miles later we will exit over Italy pass, through Granite Park and back to the car via Pine Creek. Here is a rough draft of the hike...


I'm pretty excited to hit a portion of the High Sierra Route, a 195 mile cross country route that flows through some of the sierra nevada's most pristine and less-populated mountains, hanging just above the treeline. The route was developed by Steve Roper who published a book of the trip, a book that I have had my nose buried in for the last few nights....

One of my favorite adventurers to follow right now (and for the last few years) has been Andrew Skurka. Andrew caught my eye several years ago when I heard about this crazy guy that was hiking a "Sea-to-Sea" route, a trip that included nearly 7,800 miles of travel. Back in 08' Andrew hiked the entire SHR and even had the senses to take down a cold one at the end...we all know that's the best way to re-hydrate...

No comments:

Post a Comment